Friday, June 29, 2012

Reverse Appliqué Tutorial

Okay, okay.  Nothing new here.  Reverse appliqué doesn't really need a tutorial.  But just in case...


To start, you'll need a shirt {or whatever} to appliqué on, a small little bit of Wonder Under {two-sided fusible interfacing} and the fabric you're planning to use.  I made my little guy a patriotic shirt, so I went with the classic flag pattern.


Now, you could probably skip this step and just pin the fabric onto the shirt.  But I have terrible luck with shifting fabric, so I always fuse it on.  You can't be too careful in the world of appliqués.  Haha.

Since this is a reverse appliqué, you only want to apply the Wonder Under to the very edges of the fabric.  You're going to fuse it to the right side of the fabric.  I just did a few sides, enough to hold the fabric in place while you sew.  Mine looked like this:


Then turn your shirt inside out and fuse the fabric in place.  Don't forget that you'll want it to be a mirror image of the final image, like so.


Then stitch around the image.  I was doing a flag, complete with stripes, so mine was kind of intricate.  In most cases, though, you'll really just need to stitch around the fabric.  After you stitch, flip your shirt around.

This part is my favorite.  Get your scissors and from the front of the shirt, cut inside your stitches to expose the fabric.  Just make sure you don't cut the fabric.


And that's it!  Super easy and fast!

Now my littles are ready for the 4th of July.


So full of sibling love...



No comments: